Saturday, October 29, 2011

“Be The Best We Will.”


When I was growing up, I always thought I was meant to be a Jedi. While other kids were patiently waiting for their Hogwarts letter, I was dreaming of having a pair of Princess Leia buns on my head and traveling the universe with talking robots. So how did this dream come about? As you probably guessed, it came from STAR WARS and more specifically from the mind of George Lucas and the company Lucasfilm Ltd.



The companies’ website states, Lucasfilm Ltd. is one of the world's leading film and entertainment companies.” While Lucasfilm is most famous for the STAR WARS franchise, the company has branched out into not only growing the brand itself, but also to change the entire film industry. They aim to serve “the digital needs of the entertainment industry for visual-effects and audio post-production.”

Although their values are not clearly outlined on their website, one can infer based on their global positioning, that they value industry leadership, innovation, and creativity. The company has a large stress on its history and accomplishments. It has a complete page devoted to the history. It starts with its founding in 1971 by George Lucas and moves through its milestones up until present day. It expresses the movies Lucas worked on like American Graffiti and Indiana Jones, but the website definitely focuses on the popularity of STAR WARS through use of pictures and icons.



While many assume that Lucasfilm only makes movies like STAR WARS or Indiana Jones, they have several different production companies that fall underneath them.  These companies include: Industrial Light & Magic, Skywalker Sound, LucasArts, Lucas Licensing, Lucasfilm Animation, Lucas Digital, and Lucasfilm Singapore. (As you can tell George Lucas really likes his last name.) These production companies produce special effects, licensing, video games, books, software, and much more.

It is also very interesting to note that Lucasfilm actually developed the software that is used for the very popular Pixar movies. He then sold the technology the Steve Jobs would developed it into the company Pixar Studios we all know today.

Despite the many different successful divisions of Lucasfilm Ltd., it is clear throughout the website Lucasfilm is the primary focus, Lucasfilm's motion-picture productions include three of the 20 biggest box-office hits of all time and have received 19 Oscars and more than 60 Academy Award nominations. Lucasfilm's television projects have won 12 Emmy Awards.”

Lucasfilm has a diverse target audience for all its movies. It is hard to pinpoint a specific audience since the demographic varies from film to film. Lucasfilm productions appeal to all different types of people; for example, many people like STAR WARS. One cannot simply say old men like the film because I am an example of the exact opposite. I don’t think I’ve ever met someone that has not like STAR WARS and I believe that Lucasfilm uses this to their advantage on their website. They don’t cater to one specific audience. Rather they cater to everyone that loves Lucasfilm or George Lucas himself.

8 comments:

  1. My dream job would be working for ILM (Industrial Lights & Magic). They're the production company that usually works with Amblin Ent. & Lucasfilms on their projects (Jurassic Park series, the Indiana Jones series, A.I., Star Wars series, E.T., etc.) . In fact, ILM's first big break in effects work was the first Star Wars movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always thought that the coolest thing about Star Wars is that it was so far ahead of its time in terms of production value. There's movies that come out today that don't have special effects as good as the original Star Wars. But I do have a question, If George Lucas and James Cameron had a fight who would win?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Lacey, and really topical, since Lucas was highlighted in one of our readings. While I prefer "Star Trek," I do enjoy Anakin & Co., although I'd like to hear your thoughts on Jar Jar Binks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that one of the things Lucasfilm has done so well is build a loyal group of followers. Not many IPs have such a strong following that even small changes to DVD or Blu ray releases could create such strong reactions like they do with fans of Star Wars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LACEY, you are not alone. I also have a sci-fi geek personality. I have always wanted to play a storm trooper or the evil emperor. I am particular to the first 3 films maybe because I had the toy figures.

    George Lucas based his story of conflict between good and evil from Joseph Campbell's, "The Hero's Journey." If you haven't seen it, I believe there's a documentary about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like how you highlighted key terms in your post. It really caught my eye when I was skimming through everyone's blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucas first film, THX 1138, kind of indicated that he would head off into Philip K. Dick land and become obsessive about androids dreaming of electric sheep. Instead he leaves the dystopia of the future for that of another galaxy far far away but not too far from where Joseph Campbell lived in the Village. Lucas did well to learn of fundamental myths that form the bedrock of human consciousness. From these he wove a tale that touched many generations. However, I still feel that good old THX and SEN are given short shrift by reviewers and followers of Lucas. Perhaps because the special FX just weren't there?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Avery - You should "Join The Force" and work for them if it's your dream job! They are always posting new jobs on the site!

    T.White - I think that George Lucas would definitely win - unless James Cameron paid for someone to beat up Lucas for him. The funny thing about this question is that James Cameron only went into the movie industry after he saw STAR WARS so he owes Lucas his career (kind of).

    Travers - I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the new Star Trek movies! I am a STAR WARS gal, but I can appreciate any great sci-fi movie (especially one in space). I hated the character Jar Jar Binks. I think he was added for comedic relief and to show off the special effect abilites of Lucas. He did not play an important role in my eyes and he really could have just not existed and I would be perfectly fine about it.

    Jeff - I think you are completely right about the loyal following STAR WARS has - I went to Comic Con last year and this year and it was incredibly how many people were in line to get a glimpse at the latest STAR WARS project. Not to mention the fact that they are hundreds of STAR WARS groups that go to conventions in cos-play. It takes dedication to build those costumes!

    yepez - I have not heard of that documentary, but I have just added it to my mental queue! Thanks for the tip! I'm glad I'm not the only sci-fi geek in our class :)

    Jade - Thanks Jade, I just wanted to provide the reader with evidence of my argument.

    Joel - I think STAR WARS stood out because of the characters that people feel in love with and a great "good vs evil" story line.

    ReplyDelete